This report contains details that some people may find upsetting

A young woman whose throat was cut by a 15-year-old boy two days before Christmas 2017, has said her scars would remind her forever of his "demonic actions".

Stephanie Ng gave victim impact evidence in the sentencing hearing for the boy, who has pleaded guilty to attempted murder on 23 December 2017.

The boy cannot be named because of his age.

The accused boy and the victim in this case first made contact on the Whisper app the court was told.

They exchanged photos and messages and the boy who was then 15 told Ms Ng that he was 19 years old.

She was 25 at the time.

He asked her to participate in a threesome but she told him she was not interested in a sexual relationship.

He also told her he had been attending a psychiatrist for therapy and had been suffering from depression and intrusive violent thoughts.

They arranged to meet in Dún Laoghaire in south Dublin on 23 December 2017.  The boy told Ms Ng he would bring her to a secret spot.  She said, jokingly, that it sounded like he was going to murder her.  He replied that he did not think he could.

CCTV cameras recorded their movements around Dún Laoghaire on that afternoon. Twice the boy asked her to go to a vacant house with him but she declined.

They eventually ended up on the seafront near the disused baths. While she was looking out to sea, the boy grabbed her from behind then started choking her with his right hand, while brandishing a knife in his left.  He told her in a calm, controlled voice to stop screaming.

She passed out and when she came round, she found herself lying in a pool of blood by the water's edge and realised her throat had been cut.

She had suffered defensive wounds on her right hand but the court heard she also believed the boy had cut all the way around her thumb while she was unconscious.

She managed to take a few steps upwards where she could be seen and a passerby helped her and called the emergency services.

She was taken to St Vincent's hospital where she underwent emergency surgery and was placed in an induced coma. Miss Ng was not able to speak at first, but gardaí were able to identify her attacker through her phone.

He was arrested on Christmas Day 2017.  When gardaí came to his house he said "this is about the stabbing of that girl in Dún Laoghaire".  

He told them he did not have the knife and that he had thrown it in the sea.

Gardaí seized a backpack and coat stained with Ms Ng's blood.

They also found a book with various sketches and writings.

One entry on 17 November 2017 showed someone being cut up with a knife.  A further entry in November 2017, made reference to a serial killer.

He was interviewed five times in Dún Laoghaire Garda Station in the presence of his father, but exercised his right to silence.

The court heard the boy's attendance at school since August 2017 had been "sporadic" due to mental health issues. He had no previous convictions and was previously unknown to gardaí.

In her victim impact statement, read to the court, Ms Ng said she was having flashbacks and nightmares causing her distress.

She said her emotions were destroyed and she was struggling to trust people.

She said she had sought professional help but asked how you could talk to someone who had no experience of being that close to death.

She said she rarely went out as she felt people were looking at her scar.

She told the court she remembered the boy calmly whispering "stop screaming, stop screaming" as she took what she thought was going to be her last breath.

She also remembered telling the boy she was sorry and she said she couldn't understand why she had apologised for him trying to kill her.

Ms Ng said she woke on the seafront in Dún Laoghaire with the sea crashing against the rocks and the noise of seagulls squawking in the blue sky over her head. She thought it was a dream until she realised she was alive, and lying, wet and cold in a pool of her own blood. She could see the inner parts of her hand above her head and told the boy he had left her for dead. She said she tried to cry for help but nothing came out.

Ms Ng said she knew she could not be seen where she was lying and had to get out of there to survive. She said she walked to higher ground because she was determined not to die.

Despite struggling to walk and breathe she waved at a passerby before she eventually collapsed.

She told the court she was relieved the boy did not take her phone as all the evidence was on it. But she said she was tormented knowing her life nearly ended in the boy's "cruel hands".

After being told the boy's age, she said her head spiralled in confusion, trying to understand how someone his age could have such evil intentions.

Ms Ng told the court and the boy that the scars inflicted on her neck and hand would forever be a reminder of his demonic actions. She said he had tried a number of times that day to lure her to isolated locations to fulfil his urges and his persistence down by the water showed how determined he was to have her dead.

She said he had destroyed her life but she was lucky to be alive and grateful. But, she said, she would struggle to ever forgive him. She was in denial to accept, she said, that a young teenage boy premeditated to kill her.

She said she now wanted to do the hard work of healing and looked forward to the day when she would be free from the tortures of her mind and past. She said she had to trust and believe because the thought of this lasting for the rest of her life was intolerable.

The boy sat with his head bowed while Ms Ng read her statement. His father and mother sat beside him.

Mr Justice Michael White praised Ms Ng's "tremendous courage" for reading her statement herself.

He adjourned the case to 12 April when he said he would make formal orders under the Children's Act for whatever psychological and psychiatric reports were required.