A 13-year-old boy accused of the murder of Ana Kriegel has been refused bail at the High Court.

The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, has been charged with the murder of the 14-year-old girl on 14 May.

After he was charged, the boy had been remanded in custody to the Oberstown detention centre on 25 May by the Dublin Children's Court, which does not have power to adjudicate on the issue of bail in murder cases.

However, he launched a bail application at the High Court sitting in Cloverhill which began before Mr Justice Robert Eagar on Wednesday.

Detective Inspector Mark O'Neill, who is leading the investigation, had objected to bail.

Strict reporting restrictions were imposed by the judge who delivered his ruling this afternoon. He said the court was refusing to grant bail.

The boy was accompanied to the proceedings by his parents, his grandfather and legal team.

The media could report the outcome of the application, Mr Justice Eagar told counsel for the State Aideen Collard.

The boy, who will remain in custody, has faced three hearings already in the Children's Court which last dealt with the case on Monday.

He is scheduled to appear again at the Children's Court on 23 July next for directions from the Director Public Prosecutions to be conveyed.