A 25-year-old Dublin man will be sentenced next month for the online sexual exploitation of a young teenager six years ago.

The accused man was 19 years old when he met the 13-year-old girl and they later began communicating online via Skype, Facebook and texting on a regular basis.

The man exposed himself and carried out sexual acts during Skype sessions and invited the girl to do the same.

During a meeting in person the accused man asked the girl to engage in sexual activity.

The girl's mother contacted gardaí after finding concerning messages on her laptop.

The accused man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to one count of defilement and three counts of sexual exploitation of the girl on dates between December 2011 and May 2012. He has no previous convictions.

The now 19-year-old woman said in her victim impact statement she had been going through a tough time at the time of the offences and felt quite low in herself.

She said after meeting the accused man he quickly became someone she confided in and said he made her feel special.

"I feel he used my vulnerability to his advantage to get what he wanted," she said.

She said afterwards she was angry and upset at what had happened and just wanted to forget about it. She said people told her at the time that it was not her fault but she could not see it.

"It was something that happened to me, not something I made happen," she said.

She described going through a "whirlwind of emotion" and becoming protective of younger people around her as well as distrustful of new people.

She said seeing someone who looked like the accused man transported her back to the young girl she was at the time.

The woman said she had been in a bad place at the beginning of this process but now felt stronger and was hopeful her quality of life would continue to improve.

Sean Gillane SC, defending, said his client had not come to any further attention in the six years since the offences and lived a law-abiding lifestyle. He handed in testimonials and a reference.

He said the separation of his client's parents when he was young had resulted in considerable personal difficulties for him. In his early teens he began spending increasing amounts of time alone in his bedroom seeking engagement and escape through the online world.

He said this immaturity and self-isolation was not addressed during his teenage years.

Counsel said during the exchanges between the accused and victim there had also been a mutual speaking about the difficulties in their domestic environments.

Mr Gillane submitted that the offences did not involve a contrived or sophisticated targeting of an individual as in similar cases in the past.

He said the offences had taken place within a narrow time frame. He said both parties had been upfront about who they were and asked the court to place emphasis on this.

He said the accused man had been the adult but was still relatively young at the time. He said now, as a 25-year-old, his client had developed considerable insight into the offences.

Mr Gillane said the accused man had written a letter of apology to the victim in which he indicated he had hurt her in a way she should not have been hurt. He accepted what he did was wrong and was "wholeheartedly sorry" for what he did and the abuse of her trust.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy adjourned judgment in the case until 5 March.