A 30-year-old man has gone on trial at the Special Criminal Court charged with the murder of Michael Barr at the Sunset House pub in Dublin last year.

Eamonn Cumberton with an address at Mountjoy Street, Dublin 7, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Michael Barr on 25 April 2016.

Mr Barr, a father of five from Co Tyrone, had worked as a manager at the pub at Summerhill Parade in north inner city Dublin.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Dominic McGinn SC told the court that Mr Barr was targeted by two masked men who burst into the pub and shot him several times.

He died immediately.

A post-mortem examination showed he had died from seven gunshot wounds to the head, shoulder and leg.

Mr McGinn said a short time later a silver Audi was seen on Walsh Road with three occupants who then tried to set the car on fire before running to another car.

The fire was put out before it took hold and a number of items were found including loaded firearms, ammunition, masks and boiler suits.

A mobile phone was also found near the car.

A ballistics examination of the firearms found the bullets in the victim's body had been fired from the weapons found in the car.

Mr McGinn said the following day Mr Cumberton had tried to board a flight to Bangkok with no luggage but his passport was out of date and he had to wait until the next day after securing an emergency passport.

He was arrested a month later in Dublin.

During his detention a saliva sample was taken and a DNA profile recovered. That DNA was consistent with mixed profiles recovered from a baseball cap and rubber mask found in the silver Audi.

Mr McGinn said statistical analysis showed the "overwhelming likelihood" was that Mr Cumberton's DNA was on those items.

Mr McGinn said essentially the prosecution's case was that Mr Cumberton was inextricably linked to the items found in the car, which were inextricably linked to the shooting and that, combined with his behaviour the following day was enough to bring the case against him.

Mr Cumberton denies the charge.

His defence counsel Bernard Condon said he would be challenging every element of the case and also formally recorded his objection to the jurisdiction of the non jury Special Criminal Court to hear the case.

The case has been adjourned until tomorrow.