Two men have appeared in court charged with conspiracy to murder a man after they were arrested on the Kylemore Road in Dublin with a loaded firearm in a car.

Stephen Dunne, 38, with an address at Meile an Rí, Lucan, Co Dublin and 34-year-old Garry Gleeson, with an address at Muskerry road, Ballyfermot in Dublin, appeared before Dublin District Court this morning.

They also face charges relating to the possession of ten rounds of ammunition and possession of a firearm, a semi-automatic pistol, with intent to endanger life.

The men were arrested on the Kylemore Road in Dublin on 7 August with a loaded firearm in the car.

Detective Garda Alan Russell of the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Unit told the Cloverhill District Court that Mr Gleeson made "no comment" when he was charged at Crumlin Garda Station on Saturday evening.

During an application for legal aid, the court heard that following Mr Gleeson’s arrest, gardaí searched his house and found an Audi car worth €14,000, an Opel Astra worth €5,000 and a Rolex watch worth €4,000.

Detective Garda Alan Russell told the court that Mr Gleeson "appears to be living beyond his means".

He said Mr Gleeson is unemployed and not in receipt of any State benefit.

Judge Alan Mitchell deferred the application for legal aid until more information on his assets is made available to the court.

Detective Garda Jonathan Griffen from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau gave evidence of arresting Mr Dunne at Crumlin Garda Station on 12 August.

He said when Mr Dunne was charged on Saturday evening, he made no reply.

His application for legal aid was granted. Mr Dunne is on disability, the court heard.

Judge Mitchell remanded both men in custody, to appear in court again on Friday.

The men must apply to the High Court for bail on a conspiracy to commit murder charge.

The court also heard that gardaí are awaiting direction from the Director of Public Prosecutions, investigations are ongoing, and further charges may follow.

The judge said he noted that the matters were "serious charges".