A 50-year-old man has been found guilty of murder after he shot a man during a territorial dispute between motorbike clubs.

Alan McNamara from Mountfune, Murroe, Co Limerick, had pleaded not guilty to the murder of 51-year-old Andrew O'Donoghue on 20 June 2015.

McNamara was remanded in custody and will be sentenced in October.

Earlier in the trial his stepson, 28-year-old Robert Cusack from Abbington, Murroe, admitted assisting an offender.

The killing of Mr O'Donoghue was linked to a row between rival motorcycle clubs called the Road Tramps and the Caballeros.

The victim of the shooting was a member and treasurer of the Road Tramps club which drew membership from the Limerick area.

McNamara, also known as "Cookie", was a former member of the same club but had left and joined a rival club, the Caballeros, which was originally based in Tipperary but had moved to Limerick city.

The day before the shooting he had gone to a pub in Doon, Co Limerick, wearing the "colours" of the Caballeros.

Wearing such an emblem or badge would have been seen as a provocative act and word quickly got around to the Road Tramps.

As McNamara left the pub with his wife he was set upon by three men and his jacket bearing the colours was forcibly removed from him.

The prosecution said McNamara was very vexed by this because removing someone's colours was a huge insult to the person and their club.

The jury was told this incident formed an important backdrop to events the following day.

On 20 June a member of the Road Tramps club, Seamus Duggan, was followed by three men in "a 23km road chase".

Mr Duggan had called other club members for help and it was decided he should drive to the Road Tramps club at Murroe and the gates would be opened for him.

Mr O'Donoghue and another club member were there waiting to let him in.

McNamara knew this and approached with a sawn-off shot gun.

Mr O'Donoghue tried to close the gates but was shot by McNamara and sustained severe facial and head injuries.

He was pronounced dead in hospital a few hours later.

Andrew O'Donoghue

The car carrying the three men involved in the car chase then passed by and the gun was handed into Cusack and was later found concealed at the back of McNamara's house.

After his arrest McNamara told gardaí that the night before the shooting members of the Road Tramps club had come to his home brandishing firearms and threatening him and his family.

Defence counsel Hugh Hartnett said the killing was "tragic" but he asked the jury to consider why it happened.

He said his client was acting in self defence because he was "panicked and frightened".

He said he feared his family could be attacked at any time.

Mr Hartnett said the Road Tramps wanted to make McNamara feel unwelcome in the area but unfortunately he lived three minutes away from their clubhouse.

He had been attacked by them and he and his family had been threatened. He asked the jury if that would have an effect on the mind of an average man.

He said McNamara knew what the Road Tramps were capable of.

An array of weapons had been found at their clubhouse.

Knowing all this and knowing he might have to defend his family he asked the jury to consider his client's state of mind that day.

He said if it was a planned murder he would not have done it in front of CCTV cameras.

He said only a third of the pellets from the shotgun cartridge struck the victim.

This was consistent with McNamara telling gardaí he did not aim the gun at anyone and did not mean to kill anyone.

However, the prosecution said he should be convicted of murder because he had gone to the clubhouse seeking retribution.

Prosecuting counsel Michael Delaney said McNamara had seen an opportunity to shoot a Road Tramp and he was not going to pass it up.

He said he was not entitled to take the law into his own hands and shoot an innocent man.

He said Mr O'Donoghue had not been involved in any of the earlier incidents and "was shot by a man bent on retribution and his killing was murder."

After deliberating for two hours and 43 minutes since Friday, the jury found McNamara guilty of murder by unanimous verdict.