A Swiss woman who died when her caravan was swept into the sea from a Connemara caravan park during Storm Ali in September 2018 died of a severe traumatic injury, an inquest in Galway has heard.

Elvira Ferrari, a nurse, had tried to escape from the caravan when it was flipped over in winds that were far stronger than forecast, the inquest before Galway Coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin heard.

Ms Ferrari, 58, had been in Ireland to study English in Galway for three weeks, and had planned to spend four days in Connemara.

She had booked into the Clifden Eco Beach Camping and Caravan Park near Claddaghduff.

The inquest heard that she had rented a bike in Clifden, which she was due to return on the day of the incident.

A statement to the inquest by Caleb-Amie Soltendieck, a French-Canadian who was staying at the eco-park, recounted how his girlfriend Shamie screamed at him that she had seen the caravan blow over.

He ran out and spotted the caravan on the beach some nine metres below and in the water.

Mr Soltendieck could see someone was trapped under it, and all he could see were legs and arms.

He managed to get Ms Ferrari out from underneath, but she had severe injuries to her head. He said he knew she was dead as she had no pulse and was not breathing.

Sally Forth from Darlington, in the UK, also described how she saw the caravan blowing over and a figure at the door trying to get out.

Kris Acton, who has run the caravan and camping site since 2010 with his wife, Tatjana, said the weather forecast for Wednesday 19 September 2018, had been for an orange wind alert.

He had also checked a British weather forecast, which predicted winds of 96-112km/h.

He advised customers to move, and to use cars as wind breaks, and said his wife had spoken to Ms Ferrari on the Tuesday night and offered her the use of a mobile home, as the caravan would be very noisy in high winds.

At 7.45am the next day, there was a knock on the door and a woman was shouting that a caravan had toppled over.

He said he ran down to the beach, saw a body, and was told by Mr Soltendieck that there was no pulse.

Emergency services were called, and both he and his wife administered CPR on instruction.

Mr Acton said that he believed the gusts were over 90mp/h and were of a "red alert" category and winds of this ferocity would only occur in winter time.

Ms Acton said when she spoke to Ms Ferrari the night before, she was more concerned about an issue with her credit card not working than with the weather forecast.

She confirmed she had offered her the use of a mobile home that was more sheltered.

Irish Coast Guard officer Michael Murray said he received a call from Malin Marine Rescue Co-ordination Centre and was at the beach at 7.58am.

His observation was that the casualty had no pulse, and the ambulance and garda then arrived on scene.

Garda Shane Nally said he responded with three colleagues, and arrived to find the caravan on the beach and Ms Ferrari's body about three metres away from it.

He and his colleagues removed her body to a safe location and took statements from three witnesses.

Clifden GP Dr John Casey, who was also called, pronounced Ms Ferrari dead at 8.17am.

Medical expert Dr Stephanie Caulfield said she had confirmed Ms Ferrari's identity from her dental records.

Pathologist Dr Ramadan Shatwan gave cause of death as severe traumatic head injury.

A jury gave a verdict of severe traumatic head injury and expressed sympathies to her family.

Coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin paid tribute to Mr Soltendieck for trying to save Ms Ferrari, and to the emergency services for their bravery in such weather conditions.

He said a storm of that nature was most unusual for that time of year.

Dr McLoughlin and gardaí expressed sympathies to Ms Ferrari's two sons, Romain and Nico, daughter Mengia and ex-husband, Bruno.

Ms Ferrari's son Romain and his partner Alexandra were present at the inquest.