There are growing concerns about the impact the stronger euro is having on exporting businesses in Ireland, particularly into the UK market, but also now into the US, with some recent weakness evident in the dollar.

John Finn, Managing Director of Treasury Solutions - which helps SMEs deal with their currency strategies - predicted in June the euro would be trading at above 90 pence and one $1.15 by the end of the summer.

Today, the euro is over 91.5 pence and at $1.18.

"That's having a negative impact on exporters. Probably not surprising, the real concern is where does it go from here. At 90 pence, exporters are beginning to hurt. Anything beyond that is a problem."

He said there were two key risks in the short term - both political.

"In the eurozone, the risk is abating. Mrs Merkel looks certain to be elected and has said she will see out her four-year term. 

"It's inevitable that Mrs May will see a heave and that's a risk. If Philip Hammond gets in, it could be good for sterling in the short term. If one of the Breixteers come to the fore, that would be a weakness risk.

John Finn said there was a 15% chance of it coming back to 88 pence and an 85% chance of it going to the mid nineties.

International banking giant, Morgan Stanley, is predicting euro-sterling parity by the end of the year.

Mr Finn pointed to event risk as the key driver of the market.

"If market traders get tired of the manner in which the UK appears to be negotiating - if they take a view that they're not clear on what they want - there could be a big sell off. There is a risk of a big correction in markets in general. Equity markets are very high, bond market yields are incredibly low," he concluded.

All eyes now will be on the annual conference of Central Bankers at Jackson Hole in Wyoming at the end of the week.

Particular attention will be paid to European Central Bank president, Mario Draghi, and what he has to say on the future of the bank's monetary policy, with any hints of tightening likely to send the euro even higher.