Gardaí investigating the murder of a man at his home in Dublin while his wife and children were asleep inside have described the incident as "a callous attack".

Michael Tormey, who was in his late 40s, was shot dead in the front garden of his home in Ballyfermot.

The father-of-two was not known to gardaí for involvement in any criminality. Gardaí believe he was targeted and lured to his death.

Superintendent Tony Twomey said they were at the early stages of the investigation and he was confident they would discover why Mr Tormey was killed.

He said gardaí were satisfied the victim was not involved in or did not intervene in any row or dispute earlier and this was not part of their inquiries.

Married in 2019, Mr Tormey was known in Ballyfermot as a hard-working family man and had worked various jobs including salesman and doorman.

He was socialising in a pub on Saturday night for a relative's 18th birthday and went on to a house party before going home at around 3.30am.

His killer or killers later called to his home on Thomond Road in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Mr Tormey went out to the front of the house, where it is believed words were exchanged before he was shot dead with a handgun.

His wife and at least one of his young daughters were in the house at the time.

Gardaí say they are keeping an open mind in relation to any motive for the killing and are following all lines of inquiry.

They have been speaking to neighbours and gathering CCTV footage in the area and have appealed for witnesses, people with dash cam or mobile phone footage or anyone with information to contact them at Ballyfermot Garda Station.

People Before Profit Councillor Hazel De Nortúin described Mr Tormey as a "decent hard-working man" and a loyal friend.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Cllr De Nortúin said yesterday's shooting was a "tragic incident to wake up to".

She described him as a private man, who was focused on his fitness and training, and who often took part in the area's karaoke scene.

"So all in all, a very joyous, nice, loving man and a huge loss to our community," she said.

He was socialising in a pub and returned to a family gathering before arriving home at around 3.30am

Supt Twomey also said he wanted to reassure the community in Ballyfermot and west Dublin that gardaí were aware of their concerns and were providing the necessary policing response.