Andrew McGinley, whose three children were killed by his wife last year, has said he accepts the decision of the Late Late Show to cancel his planned appearance on the programme on 8 October, but added that he does not fully understand it.
RTÉ issued a statement in relation to the issue, saying it "understood the immense grief of Mr McGinley and the sensitivities around the tragedy".
The broadcaster added that it is obliged to adhere to BAI Codes when dealing with such sensitive issues.
"We have not commented on the specifics of our contacts with Mr McGinley. We have also respected the confidentiality of the representations we received from other family members," it said.
"RTÉ gave due consideration to all of this in light of our obligations under the relevant BAI Codes and understand it is extremely sensitive.
"RTÉ spoke to Mr McGinley and also wrote to him a number of weeks ago explaining our reasons not to proceed with the planned interview on The Late Late Show on Friday 8 October," it added.
Mr McGinley, speaking to RTÉ's News At One, said he "honestly cannot understand" how the launch of a charity and a colouring competition could be seen as being sensitive material.
"I wouldn't have talked about anything painful and I would have hoped the Late Late Show, being an entertainment show, wouldn't have intended to speak about anything that would have caused distress or pain," he added.
"I honestly don't understand that," said Mr McGinley.
"For me, I was being invited on for what I intended ... because I'm tired of grief-filled conversations.
"I just want to keep the children's memory alive with love and for me I was coming on to have a loved filled conversation about Conor, Carla and Darragh."
Deirdre Morley was found not guilty of the murder of nine-year-old Conor, seven-year-old Darragh and three-year-old Carla, by reason of insanity this year and was committed to the Central Mental Hospital
Mr McGinley said she is aware of what he is doing, and the reasons why he is carrying out the legacy projects in their name.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Mr McGinley was due to appear on the Late Late Show to discuss a charity raffle, part of his three legacy projects in memory of the children, and he was being invited on to launch the charity AsDarraghDid and a colouring competition Snowman for Carla.
He said on the morning of 8 October, he received a phone call from the programme to say a letter had been sent in, objecting to his appearance on the show.
Later on that day, he said he was told the appearance was being postponed and then the following week, he was told it was being pulled because "the people who had written in had said that it could be a painful and a traumatic experience for them to hear me talk".
Mr McGinley said the Late Late Show would have been "a fantastic opportunity" for a new charity to be part of, and would have helped so many projects across the country in Darragh's name.
"We're a small charity, we'll do our best and I'll keep the children's names and their memories alive in other ways," he said.
Mr McGinley said he received letters of support from Deirdre's wider family in support of what he is doing, adding that he wanted to spend the rest of his days letting people know that "Conor, Darragh and Carla existed, that they lived amongst and to keep their memories alive".