A dog welfare charity is warning pet owners to keep their precious pooches away from Easter goodies this bank holiday weekend.

The pandemic has seen a rise in the number of families with dogs in the past year and the charity Dogs Trust wants to highlight how toxic chocolate is for our four-legged friends.

Easter Eggs and other chocolate treats are meant for human consumption only and new pet owners may be unaware of the signs of chocolate toxicity in a dog.

Research conducted in 2017 revealed that vets are twice as likely to see dogs with chocolate poisoning at Easter. The symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, seizures and potential kidney and heart failure.

Veterinary and welfare Manager at Dogs Trust Ireland, Niamh Curran-Kelly said: "Please make sure that children know their chocolate eggs are not for sharing with their furry friends.

"As toxic doses vary greatly, depending on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate ingested, if you suspect your dog has eaten any quantity of chocolate, please contact your vet for advice immediately.

"Prompt veterinary treatment can really improve a dog's chances of making a full recovery."