The jury had been deliberating for 14 hours and 25 minutes since last Wednesday when shortly after 2pm, it became known that a verdict was imminent.

Ana Kriégel's mother Geraldine sat close to the jury box as she had done throughout the trial with her eyes closed tightly and holding her husband's hand.

As the guilty verdicts were delivered the Kriégels remained composed but began to cry silently as the minutes passed and the judge dealt with the formalities of what happens next. Family members who accompanied them to court also cried and supported each other.

As the jury members filed out of court the Kriégels looked to them and nodded. They then huddled in a circle arms around their friends and family.

At the back of the court Boy A had held both his parents' hands as they awaited the verdicts. His mother sobbed as the guilty verdict for her son was delivered.

Boy A rested his head on his mother's shoulder and held both his parents' hands.

Boy B sat between his parents and linked his mother's arm and held his father's hand. When the verdict was read out he let go of their hands, raising his hands up to his mouth.

His father repeated the word guilty and raised his son's hand to his mouth and kissed it.

A few moments later he said something angrily and left the court briefly before returning.

When the judge left the bench Boy B's father criticised the gardaí and protested his son's innocence.

Boy B embraced his mother for a long time as people filed out of court. Both boys have been remanded in custody until 15 July when the case will be back before the court.

Read more:
Evidence gave brief glimpse of Ana, a 'unique' girl 'full of fun'
Boy A and Boy B guilty of murdering Ana Kriégel
The 'overwhelming' forensic case against Boy A
Hours of garda interviews that revealed Boy B's devious lies
'Vast amount' of porn found on Boy A's phones
Psychologist's evidence Boy B was traumatised ruled out by judge
Judge refused request for jury to consider manslaughter
Two boys are guilty of murder - what happens next?
Watch: The route taken to Glenwood House

Prosecuting Counsel Brendan Grehan said the matter now had to be dealt with under the Children Act and the court had to receive probation reports in relation to both accused.

He said inquiries had been made and two juvenile detention places were available.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott set a date of 15 July for the matter to come back before the court.

He said he would be inclined to seek professional assistance in the form of psychiatric reports for this "very difficult case".

He said other reports such as school reports could be included and the boys' parents might "also assist and give evidence".

He asked for victim impact statements to be prepared and for arrangements to be made if anyone was to give evidence in relation to sentencing.

The court heard gardaí would make arrangements to bring the boys to their place of detention.

Mr Justice McDermott said it only remained for him to express his condolences to the bereaved family.

As they left the courtroom the Kriégels thanked the gardaí. It was some time before they left the building, walking to the assembled media to make a brief statement about their daughter.

Patrick Kriégel said "Ana was our strength." His wife Geraldine added: "Ana was a dream come true for us and she always will be. She will stay in our hearts, forever loved and forever cherished. We love you Ana."

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences