The Supreme Court in Brazil has granted an injunction to suspend the Rio de Janeiro court hearing in which Kevin Mallon was due to give evidence as part of his ongoing trial for alleged ticket touting and other crimes during last year’s Olympic Games.

THG executive Mr Mallon and former OCI president Pat Hickey were due to appear in a Rio de Janeiro court on 29 November, at what is known as an "Instruction and Judgement" hearing, where the judge would hear witnesses for both prosecution and defence.

Both men were legally required to attend the hearing, as part of a bond contract each signed in order to have their passports returned, enabling them to leave Brazil late last year. 

However, the Sao Paulo-based legal team for the Dublin man, who was arrested on the eve of the Olympics last year, has succeeded in one of several legal requests that the process be suspended.

Lawyer Franklin Gomes said the case had been mishandled since the outset. "We are shouting, but no-one is listening," he said.

He said that the local court in Rio de Janeiro repeatedly failed to follow procedure. 

"We lodged several preliminary questions to the court in the last year, but these were never responded to. No-one has looked at the documents we submitted," Mr Gomes said.

In a written statement, a spokesperson for the Supreme Court of Justice confirmed that the trial in Rio de Janeiro is suspended until the Brasília court analyses the merit of a Habeas Corpus claim lodged on behalf of Mr Mallon.

"The defence of Kevin Mallon asked for the locking of the penal action, on the understanding of illegal duress, for lack of just cause in the denouncement presented by the public prosecutor," the spokesperson said.

She added that the Rio trial would remain on hold until this case is decided in the Brazilian capital. 

However, she was unable to immediately confirm whether the entire process was suspended, or just Mr Mallon’s participation. 

In that, it remains unclear whether Mr Hickey is still due in court at the end of the month.

Mr Hickey’s Brazilian legal team did not return several calls. The local court in Rio de Janeiro said it is unaware of the suspension of the case.