A 32-year-old man has gone on trial for the murder of two men found in a burned out car in Co Louth five-and a-half years ago.

Jason O'Driscoll with an address at Richmond Avenue, Dublin, has pleaded not guilty to the murders of Anthony Burnett and Joseph Redmond at Ravensdale Park on 7 March 2012.

The court heard the two men were shot in the head after they had stolen a car earlier that day and driven north to sell it.

The prosecution said Mr O'Driscoll was at the scene "of the assassination" and left with another man in a stolen Mercedes, which was later found abandoned in Northern Ireland.

The court heard that Burnett and Redmond were small-time criminals from Dublin.

At around 4am on 7 March 2012, they broke into a house on Wilford Road in Sandymount and stole a black Volkswagen Golf, which they planned to sell.

They drove north and pulled into a lay-by near woods at Ravensdale Park in Co Louth at around 10.50pm.

They were subsequently both shot dead and the car was set on fire.

Alex Owens SC, for the prosecution, told the jury that this was a case involving circumstantial evidence.

He said that Mr O'Driscoll was there at the time of the murders and that he and another man drove away in a stolen Mercedes afterwards.

Mr Owens said Mr O'Driscoll was a participant and that the Mercedes was spotted and chased by the PSNI before being abandoned by the two men near the village of Meigh in Northern Ireland. They then fled the scene.

He said it was not necessary to establish the precise role that the accused had played or whether he had pulled the trigger.

"Anyone, who attends the scene of a murder with a view to participating, who's there as an active participant, is as guilty as murder as the person who pulls the trigger," he said.

The jury had already heard that the accused was originally from Fairview and had lived in Newry for a while.

Both of the deceased were from Ballybough in the north inner city.

Mr Owens said the prosecution case "in relation to Mr O'Driscoll is, by inference, Mr O'Driscoll was one of the men who attended at this assassination," he said.

"You've to decide whether or not he's guilty of these offences," he explained. "I would suggest that the only reasonable conclusion is that Jason O'Driscoll is guilty."

The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of eight men and four women.

It is expected to last three to four weeks.