The parents of a nine-year-old boy who is critically ill after coming into contact with hazardous material dumped at a bonfire site in Belfast have released an image of their son in hospital.

Barrels containing the substance were left at the site at Glenwood Street, close to the Shankill Road.

Cameron Dickson became ill after apparently coming into contact with the toxic substance.

His parents wanted whoever dumped the material to see the picture of their son in hospital.

Police last night issued a warning over the potential dangers of dumping hazardous material on open ground.

PSNI Superintendent Andrea McMullan said: "We are concerned that a number of other young people in the area could have potentially come into contact with this substance and are asking parents and guardians whose children may have visited this bonfire site to closely monitor them.

"The symptoms, which may include redness of the eyes and sore throats, coughing and breathing difficulties, can take up to 36 hours to become visible and I would encourage anyone who has concerns about their children to seek medical advice immediately.

"Any clothing or skin that may have been exposed should be washed to remove residual chemicals that may be left on them."

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Bonfire sites are common across Northern Ireland in the run-up to the July marching season and the traditional lighting of bonfires ahead of the Twelfth of July.

Police have warned local residents to be vigilant about toxic material or other dangerous substances, which may be dumped without their knowledge on such sites.