A 35-year-old man has been found guilty of the murder of his former partner almost five years ago.

Vesel Jahiri, who is originally from Kosovo, stabbed 25-year-old Anna Finnegan to death on 21 September 2012.

He was also found guilty of assaulting her brother, Karl Finnegan.

He was excluded from the courtroom at the Central Criminal Court for the closing stages of the trial after punching the prosecuting senior counsel in the face.

Four guards in riot gear surrounded him in court as the verdict was delivered.

He tried to shout at the jury before the verdict was returned.

The registrar proceeded to read the verdicts out as Jahiri continued to shout at the jury about 999 calls.

The judge then ordered that he be removed from the court.

He will be sentenced at a later date.

Jahiri began a relationship with Ms Finnegan when she was in her mid- to late-teens. They were together for ten years and had two young children together.

However, in the months leading up to September 2012, their relationship turned sour and they separated.

Ms Finnegan had a protection order against Jahiri and had gone to a women's refuge with her children.  

The court heard Jahiri was concerned about getting access to the children.

An arrangement was put in place that Ms Finnegan's brother, Karl, would stay in her home at Allendale Glen in Clonsilla in the evenings and she would spend the days with her family or friends.

On the evening of 21 September 2012, Ms Finnegan was having a cup of tea with her brother when Jahiri battered down the front door. He was armed with a knife and went to attack Mr Finnegan. 

Mr Finnegan was struck twice with the knife.  

The court heard he may have fainted, but was aware his sister had left the house and gone outside and that Jahiri had gone out after her.

The jury was told no one saw Jahiri stab Ms Finnegan, but they were entitled to draw inferences from the facts.

Ms Finnegan collapsed in the driveway of her home. Jahiri put her in his car and drove her to Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown where she died from a single stab wound to the chest.

Jahiri claimed Anna's brother, Karl, had killed her and he accused witnesses in the case of lying.

He represented himself in court after dismissing his legal team. He was excluded from court by the judge at one stage, after being asked to stop throwing allegations around "like confetti".

As the case was coming to an end, he accused the judge of refusing to allow him to call witnesses and shouted that he was in "Guantanamo Jail".

Jahiri then punched prosecuting counsel Patrick Marrinan in the face and leapt over a number of benches towards the door at the back of the courtroom.

Prison officers wrestled him to the ground and took him from the court.

When the trial resumed, Mr Justice Paul Coffey told the jurors Jahiri had been excluded from the court for obvious reasons, and the trial would proceed in his absence.

The jury of eight men and two women began deliberating on Monday afternoon and spent almost seven hours deliberating.