Independents4Change TD Clare Daly has been fined €300 for speeding, despite an attempt to change her plea to not guilty to the charge.

Ms Daly, with an address in Swords, Dublin, was charged with speeding in Newbridge, Co Kildare on 1 January.

A bench warrant with discretion was issued for her arrest after she did not appear before Judge Desmond Zaidan on 13 October.

She had turned up at court that morning with her solicitor Cairbre Finan, but left again when she saw a large number of people waiting for their cases to be heard before hers.

When Judge Zaidan heard that Ms Daly had left the court he issued a bench warrant for her arrest with discretion.

On 18 October she appeared at Swords District Court in relation to the execution of that warrant.

When her case was called today, Mr Finan told Judge Zaidan that his client wished to convey to the court that there was no insult intended or implied in her actions on the last occasion.

He also said that she wished to change her plea to not guilty, and was seeking a hearing date.

However, Judge Zaidan said he would require a reason for this change before he would allow it.

He briefly adjourned the matter to allow Ms Daly confer with her solicitor.

When the case was called again, Mr Finan said that the position remained that she wished to plead not guilty, and said he would have to excuse himself from the case following the change of instructions.

Judge Zaidan reiterated that the case was listed for sentencing and refused to allow her to change her plea.

Garda Inspector Patsy Glennon told the court that on 1 January, Ms Daly's car was detected travelling at 59km/h in a 50km/h zone at Ballymany, Newbridge.

Inspector Glennon said the defendant has two previous convictions dating back to the same incident when she breached the perimeter of Shannon Airport.

Deputy Daly interrupted court proceedings to say that it was "very unfair on Mr Finan" when the judge invited him to address the evidence that had been presented against her.

The judge told her she could have her say, and instructed her to "stand up straight".

He outlined the history of the case and the issuing of the bench warrant which, he clarified, was because Mr Finan had been unable to give a reason for why she had left.

He reiterated that he thought it was disrespectful to the court and to the people who had turned up on the day to meet their cases.

He described the attempt by Ms Daly to change her plea as a "total abuse of court process" when she "didn't have the common courtesy to tell the court why".

Deputy Daly said she hoped she would have an opportunity to speak, to respond to "several inaccuracies in what you've said."

Judge Zaidan said that she would have. However, once he had finalised his comments and issued the fine he closed the case and asked for the next one to be called.