A verdict of accidental death has been recorded at the inquest of a 54-year-old man who died last year in a house fire in Dublin.

Christopher Kelly of 8 Sigurd Rd, Dublin 7, died in the blaze on 26 April 2015.

A woman in her 90s was also injured in the fire.

Mary O'Brien is still being treated in hospital for injuries she sustained.

Dublin Coroner’s Court heard that the fire was probably caused by a lit cigarette from Mr Kelly who was smoking in bed.

The cause of death was asphyxia caused by soot inhalation but the inquest heard that Mr Kelly's high alcohol content probably contributed by making him slow to react to the fire.

Neighbour Michael O'Meara gave evidence that he saw Mr Kelly returning home that afternoon, saying he was staggering and seemed drunk.

Two hours later, Mr O'Meara heard the emergency services on the street.

Garda Garrett Nolan of Mountjoy Street Garda Station examined the scene and said Mr Kelly possibly fell asleep smoking a cigarette.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane said his death was an unexpected and tragic event.