Iran has destroyed 100,000 satellite dishes and receivers as part of a widespread crackdown against the illegal devices that authorities say are morally damaging, a news website reported.

The destruction ceremony took place in Tehran in the presence of General Mohammad Reza Naghdi, head of Iran's Basij militia.

He warned of the impact that satellite television was having in the conservative country, saying: "The truth is that most satellite channels ... deviate the society's morality and culture.

"What these televisions really achieve is increased divorce, addiction and insecurity in society."

A total of one million Iranians had already voluntarily handed over their satellite apparatuses to authorities, he added.

Under Iranian law, satellite equipment is banned and those who distribute, use, or repair them can be fined up to €2,500.

Iranian police regularly raid neighbourhoods and confiscate dishes from rooftops.

Culture Minister Ali Jannati pleaded on Friday for a revision of the law. 

"Reforming this law is very necessary as using satellite is strictly prohibited, but most people use it," he said.

"This means that 70% of Iranians violate the law" by owning satellite dishes, he added.

There are dozens of foreign-based Farsi satellite channels broadcasting mostly news, entertainment, films and series.

Conservatives regularly denounce the channels as an attempt to corrupt Iranian culture and Islamic values.

However, President Hassan Rouhani has repeatedly said that the ban on satellite dishes is unnecessary and counterproductive.