Former "singing priest" Tony Walsh has been convicted of sexually abusing a young boy.

Anthony Walsh, 62, currently serving a sentence for sexual offences against a number of other children, denied ever knowing the boy and said he had never assaulted him.

"If I knew him I would have pleaded guilty years ago" Walsh told the court as he gave evidence on his own behalf.

Walsh, who was a member of the All Priests Show, was asked by his counsel how he felt towards the children he had assaulted.

"I am sorry it happened. It should never have happened. It was as near to illness as you can have without being sick," said Walsh.

Walsh, formerly of North Circular Road, Dublin 7, had pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to five counts of indecently assaulting the boy on dates between January 1980 and December 1982.

The boy was aged between ten and 13 years old at the time of the abuse.

The jury of two women and ten men returned verdicts of guilty on all counts after approximately one hour of deliberation following a three-day trial.

Judge Elma Sheahan thanked the jury for its service and remanded Walsh in custody for sentencing on 4 July.

During the trial the victim told Fiona McGowan, prosecuting, that on the first occasion Walsh had sat him on his knee and pulled him backwards with a gyrating motion.

On further occasions he said Walsh sat him on his knee and then pulled down his trousers and underwear before fondling him.

He said he sometimes remembered music playing and that Walsh told him it was Elvis.

He also recalled further occasions when he was sexually assaulted by Walsh. He said on the final occasion Walsh asked him to go for a walk, pulled down his underwear and assaulted him again.

He said he made his complaint to gardaí in April 2011.

During cross-examination by Ciaran O'Loughlin SC, defending, he denied a suggestion that he was aware of Walsh's reputation from news reports and had "built up" things in his mind that had been intended as friendship.

Giving evidence in his own defence Walsh told Mr O'Loughlin that he did not know who the complainant was and did not believe he had ever met him. "I never did anything to him," said Walsh.

He told Mr O'Loughlin that the allegations were "absolutely untrue".