Farmers attend first IFA leadership debate

More than 300 farmers attended the first debate of the IFA presidential election campaign at Rackett Hall in Roscrea, Co Tipperary.

The election is to find a replacement for Eddie Downey, who resigned from his position as President of the IFA last November at the height of the crisis over high pay at the top of the organisation. 

There are three candidates for the position, including Henry Burns, the IFA National Livestock Chairman from Co Laois, Flor McCarthy, the IFA Rural Development Chairman from Co Kerry, and Joe Healy, a member of the IFA Farm Business Committee who is from Co Galway. 

The three candidates for the organisation's deputy leadership also took part in a debate at the Tipperary venue.

High Court to hear Green Party legal challenge over RTÉ debate

The High Court will hear the Green Party's legal challenge to the exclusion of party leader Eamon Ryan from a party leaders debate on RTÉ, on Thursday.

The Greens say Eamon Ryan is entitled to be included in the debate which is due to take place on Monday.  

They say RTÉ's rule that only registered political parties with three elected TDs can participate is unlawful, unfair, overly rigid and breaches democratic values and RTÉ's public service obligations.

In court this morning, Mr Justice Seamus Noonan heard both sides would be ready for a full hearing this week.

At least 33 migrants drown off Turkey in two accidents

At least 33 migrants drowned in two accidents in the Aegean Sea as they tried to cross from Turkey to Greece, Turkish media has said. 

22 died when their boat sank off the district of Edremit in Balikesir province, shortly after 11 migrants died off Izmir, they said. 

Both vessels had apparently been trying to reach the Greek island of Lesbos. 

Man airlifted from sea off Co Donegal

A man in his 30s has been airlifted to Letterkenny General Hospital after being washed out to sea at Downing, Co Donegal.

The man was taking photos on the shore when he washed out to sea by a huge wave at 2.30pm.

Locals and the Mulroy Coast Guard managed to rescue the man from the water before the Coast Guard Helicopter brought him to hospital.