Re-elected FIFA President Sepp Blatter has sought to downplay the criminal proceedings launched by US authorities - against officials of the football world governing body.
Mr Blatter said he was "shocked" at the way FIFA had been targeted - and criticised what he called a "hate" campaign by Europe's football leaders.
Mr Blatter beat rival prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan to secure a fifth term as president.
He won the first round by 133 votes to 73 and prince Ali decided to withdraw ahead of the second round.
It comes as the US Justice Department, which has so far charged 18 people over corruption allegations linked to marketing deals and World Cup votes, said more arrests could follow.
Swiss authorities, who are leading the investigation in to the allocation of the two forthcoming World Cups, said they were prepared to question Mr Blatter and Mr Platini if necessary.
A spokesman told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that the public "don't have to be afraid of (Switzerland's Office of the Attorney General) not being in a position to call them in if we feel the need to have them".
Mr Blatter, 79, has also condemned comments on FIFA made by US judiciary leaders including Attorney General Loretta Lynch.
"Of course I am shocked. I would never as FIFA President make comments about another organisation without being certain of what has happened."
Ms Lynch said corruption in football was "rampant, systemic and deep-rooted, both abroad and here in the United States."
Mr Blatter noted that the United States had lost the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, and England, another major critic, lost the 2018 World Cup to Russia.
He said the US was the "number one sponsor" of Jordan, where his challenger for the FIFA presidency Prince Ali bin al Hussein comes from.
More than a third of the 209 footballing association members turned on him following the crisis that has struck the world governing body this week.
UEFA president Michel Platini personally asked Mr Blatter to resign over the corruption scandal.
He appealed for members to vote him out at yesterday's closely watched election battle.
His calls were echoed by England's Football Association and Prime Minister David Cameron, who said it was "unthinkable" that Mr Blatter could lead the change needed to restore FIFA's tattered reputation.
The Swiss bureaucrat hit back saying: "It is a hate that comes not just from a person at UEFA - it comes from the UEFA organisation that cannot understand that in 1998 I became president."
Asked if he would forgive Mr Platini, Blatter told Swiss TV station RTS: "I forgive everyone but I do not forget."
He suggested the timing of a police swoop at a Zurich hotel on Wednesday, when seven FIFA football officials were arrested in connection with decades of alleged rampant corruption and fraud, was "an attempt to interfere with the congress".
He added: "I am not certain but it doesn't smell good."
Britain's David Gill has refused to take up his vice-presidency position following Mr Blatter's re-election, shunning the leader's first meeting of his executive committee today.
Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has vowed to continue the opposition to Mr Blatter.
Mr Dyke claimed Mr Blatter had been given "a bloody nose" and that he would be surprised to see him still in power in two years' time.
Elsewhere, a senior US Internal Revenue Service official has said he thought there would be further indictments according to the New York Times.
He declined to identify the remaining targets of the investigation.
Swiss prosecutors are investigating the award of the World Cup finals to Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022, decisions that have deepened rifts within FIFA.
The choice of Qatar, a small desert state where summer daytime temperatures rarely fall below 40 degrees Celsius, was especially contentious and went against the advice of FIFA's own technical committee.
Russia and Qatar deny wrongdoing in their bids to host the prestigious tournament, and Russian President Vladimir Putin has accused the United States of meddling in an effort to force Mr Blatter out.
When asked after the vote if he could guarantee the next World Cup would still be staged in Russia, FIFA's secretary general Jerome Valcke told reporters: "Yes, yes. I mean now today, if you ask me the question at twenty to eight, yes the World Cup will be played in Russia and Qatar."
Away from the crisis engulfing soccer's administration, the under-20 World Cup got underway in New Zealand, and more than 25,000 people turned up in Auckland for the opening game.
And preparations for the Women's World Cup, which opens in Canada on 6 June, continued with a friendly between the hosts and England before a sellout crowd in Hamilton, Ontario.