A former detective sergeant has described as an outrageous lie an allegation that he exposed himself in the toilets of a golf club and told witness Marie Farrell it was a thrill or turn on to be fitting up Ian Bailey for murder.

Mr Bailey's action for wrongful arrest began on 4 November last.

Maurice Walsh, who is now retired, said there was no truth in the allegation which was, he said, "revolting and deeply upsetting to me and my family and has caused a lot of hurt".

Mr Walsh, who worked on the investigation into the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, said he was in court last December when Ms Farrell gave her evidence about an encounter with him in the toilets of a golf club.

The only truth about her evidence was that he had been in the golf club in the summer of 1998 with his wife and another couple, he said.

He said they were out celebrating his promotion and "moving on" and the murder investigation would not have been to the forefront of his mind.

Mr Walsh said there was absolutely no truth to what she outlined to the court last December.

He also denied that he had gone to her bedroom in a Dublin hotel on a later date after he had been transferred to Dublin on promotion.

He accepted he had agreed to meet her for a drink because she was in Dublin and did not know anyone.

It was bad judgement on his behalf to meet her for a drink, he said.

He said he met her in the lobby of the Ashling Hotel and they went for a drink in the Hole in the Wall pub and he returned her to the hotel.

Her allegation that he had gone to her bedroom was "fabrication", he said.

Mr Walsh said every statement he took from Ms Farrell was her own words and recorded as she told him.

He said she spoke freely and was relaxed and there was no suggestion of pre planning.

He said he was not aware of any scheme or plan or anything underhand between Ms Farrell and Detective Garda Jim Fitzgerald to fit up Mr Bailey.

He said it was total fabrication for her to say she would never have a day's peace if she did not stick to her statements.

He said this was not the language he would use to any individual.

He did not understand why she would say such things.

Retired garda unaware of 'staged' Bailey encounter

A retired garda who investigated allegations of harassment made by Ms Farrell about Mr Bailey has told the High Court he was unaware at the time that one encounter had been "staged".

However, Vincent Duggan said he would not have had any great difficulty with gardaí knowing in advance about a planned visit by Mr Bailey to Ms Farrell's shop in Schull in June 1997 and about gardaí suggesting the meeting be taped. 

Lawyers for Mr Bailey asked if he would have approved of such a practice of a potential suspect calling to see a potential witness.

Mr Duggan said witnesses were sometimes asked to do things and they did them because they felt they had a duty to or because they were brave enough to do it and it depended on the circumstances and he could not say if he would have approved or disapproved.

However, he said he was not aware of this when he first investigated the complaint of harassment.

He said he outlined a number of allegations of intimidation by Ms Farrell and collated them for a file which was sent to the DPP. He agreed no prosecution was sanctioned by the DPP.

Ms Farrell told the court in this case that the allegations of harassment by Mr Bailey were false and that she had been told what to say by other gardaí.

A garda who was part of a review team who investigated the circumstances of the investigation into the murder of Ms Toscan du Plantier told the court he met Ms Farrell five times.

Inspector Kevin Gately outlined how Ms Farrell first agreed to speak to the review team, known as the McNally team, for five minutes but ended up talking for three hours.

At various meetings she refused to name the person she was with on the night of the murder when she claimed to have seen Mr Bailey at Ceal Fada bridge.

Inspector Gately said at one point she gave the name of a man whom she said had died three weeks previously.

She later refused to identify the man and said it was "more than her life's worth" as it would break up her family.

The court heard she gave differing accounts of her movements on the 23 December to Inspector Gately and others on the McNally review team.

However, at a number of meetings she stood over what she had said in her original statements to gardaí about three sightings of Mr Bailey in the days before the murder and on the night of the murder.

Inspector Gately denied that Ms Farrell was ever threatened that her husband would be prosecuted if she did not do what they said.

He said gardaí carrying out the first review of the investigation in 2002 knew she had made false statements and informed her that could be an offence and that at one point she was cautioned.

He said Ms Farrell had walked out of some meetings with them.

However, he said a suggestion that Ms Farrell was told that gardaí had her husband's fingerprints and that he could be prosecuted was nonsense.

Inspector Gately said in their review they said Ms Farrell was not a credible witness.

He said the differing accounts of her movements and the fact that she had refused to give the name of the person she was with on 23 December 1996 had weakened her evidence.

Earlier, the jury was told an end to the case was in sight and it was expected to finish in early April.