The family of Michaela McAreavey have said they are growing increasingly frustrated by the slow progress of criminal proceedings on the island of Mauritius.

The 27-year-old Co Tyrone teacher was found strangled in her room at the luxury Legends Hotel during her honeymoon on the island in January 2011.

Mrs McAreavey, a daughter of Tyrone senior football team manager Mickey Harte, was married to Down footballer John McAreavey. 

The Harte and McAreavey families issued a joint statement to mark the second anniversary of the beginning of the trial of two men accused of her murder.

They said they were more determined now than ever that justice will be done, but are strongly critical of the lack of progress made in Mauritius in bringing criminal proceedings.

The families say they have been particularly disappointed by the reluctance of the Mauritian authorities to keep them updated with developments.

They said: "It was promised by the Mauritian Prime Minister that justice would be done and would be seen to be done in this case.

"However as time marches on and the criminal proceedings seem to have ground to a halt, this promise is ringing hollow."

The statement said they are hoping that a settlement can soon be reached with the hotel in Mauritius where Mrs McAreavey was murdered, in respect of the civil proceedings.

Thousands of mourners attended Mrs McAreavey's funeral near her family home in Ballygawley, Co Tyrone.

She had married Mr McAreavey just 12 days before her murder and was buried in her wedding dress.

The McAreaveys were celebrating their marriage at the Legends Hotel when Mr McAreavey found his bride dead in the bathtub of their room.

She had gone back to their room from a poolside restaurant to get biscuits.

When she did not return her husband went to the room and found her body. She had been strangled.

Police said she was murdered after disturbing thieves in her room.

Five hotel workers were arrested over the murder before two were charged but cleared during a marathon trial at the island's Supreme Court in the capital city of Port Louis in summer 2012.