Two men in their 20s have appeared before a special sitting of Cork District Court charged in relation to a high speed chase in the city yesterday morning.  

The two men have been remanded in custody on several charges relating to the incident, including the theft of a van.

A garda who had been attempting to divert traffic from the path of a stolen van was injured when the vehicle rammed his motorbike.  

John O' Driscoll, 27, and Damien Fitzgerald, 26, appeared in court in connection with the incident, which resuted in Garda Michael Twomey being injured on the Mallow Road.

John O'Driscoll, who is from the Fairhill area of Cork city, but has an address at the Simon Community on Anderson's Quay in the city was charged with seven offences.

They included the theft of a van on Thursday and theft from the Vienna Woods Hotel in Glanmire early yesterday morning. 

In addition, he was charged with five counts of dangerous driving at a number of locations in the city.

Damien Fitzgerald of Fairhill in Cork City who was a passenger in the van was charged with allowing himself to be a passenger in a stolen vehicle and with the stealing of property form the Vienna Woods Hotels in Glanmire.

Both men were remanded in custody to appear in court again next Thursday.

Van took off at high speed through Cork city centre 

The incident began when gardaí spotted a van, which had been stolen in Douglas outside Cork city, at about 8.30am.

It is understood that the white Peugeot van was used as the getaway vehicle following an early morning raid at the Vienna Woods Hotel in Glanmire.

When gardaí went to stop the van, it took off at speed and drove through the city centre.

After it rammed a garda van and other vehicles near Merchants Quay, a number of garda road blocks were put in place.

The van was pursued by gardaí out the Mallow Road, colliding with Garda Twomey who suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries.

The stolen van proceeded in the wrong direction along the dual carriageway heading towards the city.

It turned off for Blarney and was eventually intercepted close to Killeens.