Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin has been told by his hospital doctors that both of his legs are broken following a vicious assault at Ardleigh Crescent in Mullingar on Saturday.

It was widely reported the boxer's right leg was broken in two places in the assault.

However, Mr Nevin told the Westmeath Topic that his left leg is also broken.

A scan was carried out this afternoon on his lower left leg, which had been causing him pain and discomfort since the attack. It was fractured just above the ankle.

It was cast immediately. His right leg, broken in two places, will be cast later tonight when the swelling dies down.

Mr Nevin will be confined to a wheelchair for several weeks his manager, Tom Moran of Greenblood boxing, confirmed.

The serious injuries are a huge blow to the boxer, who began his professional career with a convincing win over Alberto Candelaria in Boston on St Parick's Day.

Mr Nevin told the Topic newspaper, out tomorrow morning, that he attempted to stand following the assault on Saturday morning, "but my leg just went".

He thought the left leg was bruised initially, but his worst fears that it was broken were confirmed by doctors at Tullamore Regional Hospital.

"I'm shocked, but this won't stop me getting back in the ring," he said.

He vowed to return to the ring later this year. His manager remains hopeful, and said Greenblood is still 100% behind John Joe and still have big plans for him in America.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" he said, adding that he wants Mr Nevin to travel to Philadelphia as soon as he can to begin rehab. It may be July until he can travel.

Mr Moran said: "he has been through this before" telling Ronan Casey in the Topic that he is prepared to put in the extra work to get the boxer back into the ring.

Over the course of a long career managing prize fighters, one of his World Champions, former Ugandan child soldier Kassim Ouma was shot twice in a Palm Beach domestic dispute, but returned to the ring the following year.

He also managed Tim Witherspoon "who lost the lot" when he returned to Philadelphia after an illustrious career.

"We have big plans for John Joe, and despite this being a huge setback, one positive to bring from it is that he will be trying to strengthen both legs at the same time when he begins rehab," said Moran.

Mr Nevin, who told local papers he believed the attack to have been motivated by jealousy, was consulting with his legal team about making his next move. He declined to comment if he was going to press charges.

Two men were arrested for the attack, one at the scene in Ardleigh Crescent on Saturday and another on Sunday. They were released without charge but a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecution.