A Dublin man has been granted bail but barred from being in the front seat of a car after he was charged in connection with a driving incident in Dublin last night.

Shane Connell, 26, with an address at Belcamp Grove, Priorswood in Dublin appeared before the Dublin District Court charged with the unlawful use of a stolen van.

Garda Nathan Burke told the court that Mr Connell made no reply when cautioned.

Gda Burke lodged objections to bail based on the "nature and seriousness" of the charge.

It is alleged that the accused, who has not yet entered a plea, stole the van at George's St South at 9.50pm last night.

During the bail hearing, the court heard that the van was observed driving erratically before taking a sharp turn towards Kevin St.

Gardaí pursued the van to Ranelagh village, where heard there was "a high volume of traffic and pedestrians."

Two parked cars were damaged and three moving vehicles were also rammed from behind, and the van came to a stop when it lost a wheel, the court heard.

Judge Bryan Smith was told that further charges could be brought and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

Mr Connell’s solicitor Tony Collier said his client was not working and his means were "strained".

The judge set bail in Mr Connell's own bond of €250, with no cash lodgement, along with a €1,500 independent surety, of which half must be lodged in court.

He was remanded in custody with consent to take up the bail which also included several conditions including a ban on him from being in the Dublin 2, 6 and 8 areas.

He must sign on three days a week at his local garda station and obey a curfew and not sit in the front of a car.

He has yet to take up the bail and will face his next hearing at Cloverhill District Court on 27 February.

A second man, Stephen Kelly, 19, with an address at Windmill Park, Crumlin, was granted bail after he was charged with unlawfully travelling as a passenger in a stolen vehicle.

The teenager was told that he would have to obey a number of bail conditions and is due before court again on 3 April.

Mr Kelly, who was granted legal aid, must sign on daily at Crumlin Garda Station, reside at his home address and obey a 9pm to 7am curfew there.

He was also told that gardaí could call to his house to check he is adhering to the curfew and that he must have a mobile phone on him so he can be contactable at all times.

He was also banned from the Dublin 1 and Dublin 2 districts as a condition of bail.

Mr Kelly, who has not yet entered a plea, will face his next hearing on 3 April.

An 18-year-old woman has been charged and released on bail.

She is due before the courts at a future date.

A teenage girl was released without charge in the early hours of this morning, while one man remains in custody in Pearse Street.