Elderly woman and nine-year-old girl killed in house fire in Co WexfordSaturday 14 September 2013 22.44
A nine-year-old girl and a woman in her 80s have died after a fire at a house in Clohass, Co Wexford.
Emergency services were called to Clohass House in Clohass, near Enniscorthy, at around 12.30am to tackle the blaze.
The woman who died was living in the house, the nine-year-old girl was staying in the house at the time of the fire.
The child's mother and her partner, who is the son of the woman who died, were returning to the house from a night out when they discovered the fire.
The man, aged in his 50s, tried to get in to the house and was injured.
It is understood he received lacerations while trying to gain entry to the house. He is being treated at St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin.
Gardaí say at this stage they do not believe the fire is suspicious and that all indications are that it was a tragic accident.
The bodies of the woman and the child have been taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where post-mortem examinations will be carried out tomorrow.
Officers from the Garda Technical Bureau have been examining the scene.
Fianna Fáil TD John Browne said that "there is a huge amount of shock and sadness in the area this morning."
Mr Browne said: "They are a well-known family" and the neighbours are rallying around the family at the present time.