WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange spent a second night at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London amid reports that a decision on his request for political asylum will be made.

The 40-year-old Australian has been inside the embassy since Tuesday afternoon, when he went there to request political asylum under the United Nations Human Rights Declaration.

Ecuador's president, Rafael Correa, will make a decision on Mr Assange's application, the country's deputy foreign minister Marco Albuja told Australia's ABC.

Mr Assange faces arrest for breaching the terms of his bail if he leaves the Ecuadorian Embassy.

The South American country, whose UK ambassador Anna Alban met the government yesterday morning, says he is under its protection while it considers the application, which comes after his failed bid to avoid extradition to Sweden under a European arrest warrant to face sex crime allegations.

Britain’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) confirmed in a statement that he was "beyond the reach of the police" while he remains in the building.

Ms Alban said she held "cordial and constructive" talks with the government at the FCO.

"I welcome the statement from the UK government in which they stated that they would work with the Ecuadorian government to find a resolution," she said in a statement.

"I also took the opportunity to explain that the decision on Mr Assange's application would be assessed by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Quito and would take into account Ecuador's long and well established tradition in supporting human rights.

"I also emphasised to the UK government that it was not the intention of the Ecuadorian government to interfere with the processes of either the UK or Swedish governments.

"I have made clear that I will make myself available to meet with the UK Government's representatives at any time so that we can find a just and fair solution to this situation."

The Swedish Ministry of Justice issued a statement saying: "We have noted that Mr Assange seeks asylum. The European arrest warrant is valid. We assume that Britain will carry out the decision made by their Supreme Court."

The Metropolitan Police said it had been told at 10.20pm on Tuesday that Mr Assange had breached a condition of the £200,000 bail imposed by Britain’s High Court, that he stay at a bail address between 10pm and 8am.

A small group of protesters arrived at the embassy in Knightsbridge shortly after noon yesterday, waving placards that read "Free Assange, No Rendition" and "Free Assange, No Extradition", and a large sign reading: "Free Assange! Free Manning! End The Wars."

Gavin Macfadyen, from the Centre for Investigative Journalism at City University, who emerged from the embassy shortly after noon yesterday, said of Mr Assange: "He is fine, he is in very good humour and grateful for the hospitality of the embassy.

"He is meeting with the lawyers now to discuss all of it.

"It's a very fluid situation, he is in good humour and the generosity of the embassy is impressive and moving."

Mr Assange's move to claim asylum is the latest twist in a marathon legal battle played out in the glare of worldwide publicity.

He is set to be extradited to Sweden, where he faces accusations of raping a woman and sexually molesting and coercing another in Stockholm in August 2010 while on a visit to give a lecture.

Mr Assange, whose WikiLeaks website has published a mass of leaked diplomatic cables that embarrassed several governments and international businesses, says the sex was consensual and the allegations against him are politically motivated.

Last month the Supreme Court upheld a High Court ruling made in November last year that his extradition was legal.

Last week the same court refused an attempt by him to reopen his appeal against extradition, saying it was "without merit".