The Polish Ambassador to Ireland has described the killings of two Polish men who were attacked in Dublin last Saturday as hooliganism which could happen anywhere.

Dr Tadeusz Szumowski said that the message of condolence by the Taoiseach to Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk was very much appreciated.

A double murder investigation is under way following the death of a second man who was stabbed in the incident in Drimnagh.

29-year-old Pavel Kalite had been critically ill since the attack, which has already claimed the life of his 27-year-old friend Marius Szwajkos.

Gardaí are continuing to question 16-year-old youth in connection with the incident.

Two other teenagers have been released and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Both men were from Poland and during his visit to that country today, Bertie Ahern described the killings as 'hooliganism at its worst'.

Mr Ahern told Mr Tusk that the people of Ireland were shocked and saddened to hear of the violent attack.

Expressing his condolences, Mr Ahern said it was a tragedy which had nothing to do with the fact that the men were Polish - both men were just going about their own business when they were assaulted.

A spokesperson for the Consular section of the Polish Embassy in Dublin has said arrangements have been made for the repatriation of the body of Mr Szwajkos.

The parents and sister of Mr Kalite travelled to Ireland in recent days, but so far the embassy has not been contacted to assist with repatriation of his remains.

A vigil is being organised for 6.30pm on Saturday evening by members of the local community in Drimnagh, exactly a week after the attacks.

Mr Kalite died overnight after being critically ill at St James's Hospital since the violent attack by a group of teenagers outside a chip shop on Benbulben Road.

The two were in Ireland less than nine months.

Gardaí believe they were stabbed in the head a number of times with a screwdriver. However a weapon used in the attack has still not been recovered.