A man has been remanded in custody by Kilmainham District Court in connection with a series of rammings by a stolen coach resulting in the death of a woman on the Naas Road in Dublin yesterday.

36-year-old Peter Clarke, an employee of Dualway Coaches and with an address at Kiltalawn Court in Jobstown, was charged with dangerous driving causing death.

The woman who lost her life was 61-year-old Máire Buckley from Donnycarney.

Detective Sergeant Sean Hogan of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation told the court that he arrested Mr Clarke at 6.35pm yesterday at Tallaght hospital.

Mr Clarke was then brought to Kevin Street Garda Station where he was questioned overnight and charged with the offence at 5.55am today.

Judge Bridget Reilly granted free legal aid to Mr Clarke and no application for bail was made.

Mr Clarke's solicitor, Caroline Egan, requested that her client undergo medical and psychiatric treatment while in custody, and this request was granted by the judge.

Mr Clarke is to appear at Clover Hill District Court on Friday.

Taoiseach offers sympathy to Buckleys

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has extended the Government's sympathies to the family of Maire Buckley.

Mr Ahern said he had met her several times in her work at Rutland Street school.

Speaking in Dublin this afternoon, Minister for Justice Michael McDowell also paid tribute to the garda officers involved in attempts to stop the coach.

Garda cars were rammed and gardaí fired up to seven shots during the incident, when a bus was driven at speed on the Naas road dual carriageway and in the LUAS tramway.

More than a dozen people were injured.

The bus had been taken from the Dualway Coach depot in Rathcoole in south Co Dublin.

In a statement, a spokesman for Dualway Coaches expressed sympathy for the dead woman's family.