skip to main content

Preliminary post mortems after Dublin deaths

Carrigwood Estate - Scene of double murder
Carrigwood Estate - Scene of double murder

The Deputy State Pathologist, Dr Michael Curtis, has conducted a preliminary examination of the bodies of two men who were shot in a cul de sac in the Carrigwood Estate in Firhouse at 10pm last night.

The bodies have been removed to the City Morgue in Marino for further examination.

The Minister for Justice said the double murder was the result of a criminal feud between two gangs which the gardaí had managed to constrain until last night.

Michael McDowell earlier said that despite the 17 gangland killings so far this year, he does not accept that violent crime is spiralling out of control.

Following the shootings, the gunmen drove off in a Northern Ireland-registered BMW which was found abandoned and burned out in the nearby Glenvara Park estate.

Mr McDowell said that the car was sourced in Northern Ireland last Thursday. He also said firearms have been found in the car.

The Labour Party, meanwhile, has described Mr McDowell’s claim that serious crime was under control as totally misguided.

Labour TD for Dublin South Central Mary Upton said a stronger crackdown on criminal gangs and on illegal weapons was needed.

Ms Upton also said there was no sign of the additional 2,000 gardaí promised before the last General Election when it was clear they were badly needed.

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to the shootings to contact the incident room at Tallaght Garda Station on 01-6666000.