Aer Rianta has been granted injunctions against a number of anti-war protesters to prevent further trespass at Shannon Airport.

The company had sought orders against 22 individuals: 10 of them consented to permanent injunctions being granted against them.

A further seven injunctions, which will remain in place until a full court hearing, were granted by the President of the High Court.

No order was made in the case of four.

Mr Justice Finnegan also granted an injunction against freelance journalist Eamon Crudden preventing trespass at Shannon Airport save for the purposes of travelling.

Lawyers for Aer Rianta said that the company had taken notice of what was said on his behalf in relation to his journalistic activities and had invited him to liaise with the director of the airport.

The peace camp at Shannon Airport disbanded yesterday but Aer Rianta continued with legal proceedings it had set in train on Monday to stop trespassing on its lands.

Mary Kelly at District Court

Mary Kelly, who was charged last week with unlawfully damaging an aircraft at Shannon Airport, appeared at Tulla District Court today. She made an application to change the stringent bail conditions imposed on her by the District Court last week.

Bail conditions imposed on her at her first court hearing included staying out of County Clare, surrendering her passport, and signing on at Skibbereen Garda Station three times a week. A €5,000 personal surety was also required.

In Court today, an application was made to modify Ms Kelly's exclusion order from County Clare given that this was quite a large imposition on her. The court was asked if the exclusion order could be confined to five kilometres around Shannon Airport.

Judge Joseph Mangan refused the application, the bail conditions remain, and the matter was adjourned to 7 March.

US 'happy' to use Shannon

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has told the Dáil the US is happy to continue using Shannon Airport to transport its military personnel.

Mr Ahern said he was made aware of the US view by the Deputy Commander of US Forces in Europe, General Charles F. Wald.

The Taoiseach was responding to a question from the Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, who called for the resignation of the Minister for Defence, Michael Smith, over what he described as the mishandling of security at Shannon.

Earlier, one of the main airlines transporting US troops through Shannon, World Airways, has said it was diverting 17 flights to Frankfurt.

Aer Rianta says the airline gave no specific reason for the change.

In a separate development, security at the airport was strengthened this morning with the arrival of soldiers who will help Gardaí to protect American military aircraft.

The troop deployment was ordered after recent security breaches by protestors.