RTÉ lyric fm is delighted to announce the opening date of our annual celebration of community, amateur choral music making from all around the island of Ireland.
If you would like to be involved in Ireland's largest choral competition - send in a recording of your choir singing one festive choral work of your own choice by Wednesday 4th December. A selection of the best of the submissions will be chosen for airplay on RTÉ lyric fm each weekday from 16th - 20th December in a special Choirs for Christmas feature presented by Evelyn Grant at 1pm.
BEST OVERALL CHOIR : €750
BEST OVERALL RUNNERS UP: €200
BEST YOUTH CHOIR: €200
BEST COMMUNITY / CHORAL SOCIETY CHOIR: €200
BEST PRIMARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST PERFORMANCE OF A CONTEMPORARY IRISH CHORAL WORK*: €200 *Composed within the last 10 years - may include one of the RTÉ lyric fm Christmas Carols Commissions. A selection of scores can be downloaded below:
Adam Lay yBounden by Sebastian Adams
Christmas Day by Elaine Agnew
Curoo Curoo by Elaine Agnew
Stars of Wonder by Linda Buckley
Draíocht na Nollag by Linda Buckley with Music students of Presentation Secondary School, Cork
All entrants will be published online via Soundcloud so you can get a taste of the wealth of choral making around the country while also hearing new and traditional repertoire. Check out last year's entrants below.
All choirs - school, college, amateur and semi-professional - choral societies and chamber choirs are welcome to enter
All music entries must be in MP3 format only and submitted by e-mail only
No other format will be accepted
Please ensure the recording is suitable for airplay, requires no editing and shows the choir at their best!
Please note by submitting your entry you are agreeing to RTÉ lyric fm publishing all details submitted
Entries must be sent to email@example.com and must include the following:
(1) A correctly labelled MP3 recording (Please save the MP3 with the full name of the choir, town and county i.e. St Brigid’s National School Choir, Castlebar, Co.Mayo) Please ensure that the recording is saved with the full name of the choir and the townland
(2) A high-res jpeg picture of the choir
(3) A short choir biography
(4) Details of the piece performed including title and composer and / or arranger
(5) Please submit details of any additional instrumentalists in the recording i.e. accompanist
(6) Full contact details for the choir director
(7) Mobile phone number
(8) Postal address
(9) E-mail address
(10) Ensure you attach all the above details in one e-mail - incomplete entries or multiple emails with incomplete details will be deemed invalid
Finally get your entry in by Closing Date: Wednesday 4th December 5pm by sending in all the above details to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details contact: email@example.com