Watch Donal's Family Kitchen, Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 7:30pm.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Chilli flakes
- 550g pork and fennel sausages removed from skin
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tbsp vodka
- 1 x 400g tin finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml double cream
- 350g penne pasta
- 25g Parmesan, finely grated
- Large handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the sausage and using a wooden spoon break it up into smaller pieces, fry for 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Add the fennel seeds to this along with the garlic.
- Add the vodka followed by the tomatoes, tomato purée, give it a mix and then add the cream, stir to combine. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has reduced a little. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season once boiled, add the penne. Cook according to packed instructions. Once the pasta has cooked, stir it through the sauce. Serve in bowls topped with the Parmesan, parsley, and black pepper.