This is my take on a very classic recipe. Traditionally egg yolks are used but whole eggs if well beaten will work too, just don't tell any Italian friends as they might never talk to you again!
- 400g Spaghetti
- 1 tsp oil
- 300g bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 egg yolks but you could use whole eggs
- 75g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Cook according to the pack instructions. While the spaghettis are getting ready, heat a sauté pan with a little oil and fry the bacon pieces for one or two minutes until crispy.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and half of parmesan cheese. Season lightly with cracked black pepper.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to its saucepan with a little of the cooking liquid. Add in the bacon pieces and the egg and cheese mixture. Stir (off the heat) to coat the pasta with the egg and cheese mixture and allow the eggs to set with the residual of heat from the pasta.
- Add a drop of water if the pasta mixture is ready too thick. Season well with salt and pepper. Transfer into serving plate and sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and herbs.
- Serve immediately.