A sweet treat from Kevin Dundon.
- 4 eggs
- 4oz/100g caster sugar
- 4oz/100g self-rising flour
- 50g icing sugar or caster sugar
- 4 tbsp. Raspberry Jam
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 100ml fresh cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line an oblong (13 x 9 inch) tin with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl beat the 4 eggs with the sugar for the sponge base. It should become very light and aerated. The whisk should leave a figure of eight pronounced on the surface of the mixture when the whisk is lifted out of it.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour with a metal spoon. Be very gentle so as not to knock any of the generated air out of the sponge base but also ensure that all of the flour is incorporated. Pour the mixture into a prepared Swiss roll tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until well risen and golden brown and take the sponge out of the oven.
- Before the sponge is fully cooled, invert it onto a sheet of parchment paper dusted with the icing sugar or caster sugar (50g) and spread with a thin layer of raspberry jam.
- Then in a bowl, combine the mascarpone with the cream to loosen the mascarpone. Fold in the rest of the jam to create swirls. Spread the mixture over one log side of the pastry.
- Carefully roll the Swiss roll up from the longest side rather than from the shortest.
- Roll and slice into portions.
- Serve immediately with a dust of icing sugar.