Hearty and full of flavour, this sausage and polenta dish is comfort in a bowl.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 4 large Italian sausages (350g)
- 1 York cabbage, trimmed and cut into 4 quarters with stem left intact
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 bulb of garlic (cut across the centre)
- 100 mls chicken stock
- 100 mls white wine
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs golden brown sugar
- A stick of cinnamon
- A sprig of sage
- A few dots of butter
- Salt and pepper
For the polenta
- 200 ml milk
- 100 ml water
- A sprig of thyme
- 100g instant polenta
- 60g butter
- 80g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and white pepper
- Set the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the olive oil into a wide pan, heat a little then put in the sausages and cabbage, cut side down. Add the onion and garlic then colour everything lightly for a five minutes or so.
- Add the chicken stock, white wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, sage and butter.
- Season, then cover and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- When the sausages are nearly ready, in another pot bring the milk, water and thyme up to a simmer. Whisk in the polenta in a continuous stream. Cook over a gentle heat for three to four minutes whisking frequently.
- Remove the thyme then add in the butter, parmesan, salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Dollop the polenta onto warm plates and serve with the sausage, cabbage and a drizzle of the balsamic juice.