- 75g chocolate 62% cocoa solids
- 175ml warm syrup
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon rum
- 450g granulated sugar
- 600ml water
- Melt the chocolate in a pyrex bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Remove the bowl and whisk in the warm syrup and flavouring of choice.
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Stir several times as it comes to the boil to encourage the sugar to dissolve. Allow to boil for two minutes.
- Cool and store covered in the fridge. It keeps for several weeks.