Watch Cook-In on Wednesdays at 8:30pm on RTÉ One.
- 400g washed green lentils
- 1.5 litres water
- 50ml veg oil
- 4 Indian bay leaves
- 3 dried red chillis
- 8 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 thumb sized lump ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 vegetable stockpot
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Handful Coriander
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- Heat the heavy based saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil
- Add the cardamom, bay leaves, chilli and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until golden.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelised.
- Add the tomato and cook until it breaks down.
- Now add the lentils, water, mustard and vegetable stockpot. Simmer over a very low heat for about 30-40 minutes until the lentils are softened.
- Finish by adjusting the seasoning with salt, butter, juice and zest of lime, garnish with coriander and sliced chilli.