Watch Cook-In on Wednesdays at 8:30pm on RTÉ One.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 200g macaroni, par boiled in salted water
- 100g bacon lardons
- 20g butter
- 20g flour
- 750ml milk
- 150g white and red cheddar mix
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 chicken stockpot
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook the bacon lardons in a heavy based saucepan, until cripsy and golden all over. Remove from heat and add milk, allow to heat up to a simmer.
- In a separate pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook until blonde in colour and bubbling.
- Add the warm bacon milk, and whisk constantly until thickened and bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add 100g grated cheddar mix and 20g parmesan, mix till glossy and smooth
- Season the sauce with chicken stock pot, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the macaroni and mix, transfer to oven proof dish and bake for 20mins at 180c.