These peas are mildly flavoured with cumin seed resulting in a dish that can be served with many meals based around chicken, lamb, fish or vegetables.
- 380g basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 75g finely chopped onion
- 570ml water
- 150g frozen peas, cooked until tender in boiling salted water.
- Rinse the rice gently in cold water taking particular care not to beak the grains of rice. Add 2 pints of cold water to a bowl and soak the rice for 30 minutes and then drain it.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan and when hot add in the cumin seeds. Stir for 3 seconds and add the chopped onion and cook while stirring until the onions become flecked with a golden brown colour.
- Add in the rice gently stirring it through the onions, a good pinch of salt and the 570ml water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cover with a tight fitting lid and cook over a very low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the peas in boiling salted water until tender. Stir the cooked peas through the cooked rice and serve or keep warm until needed.