Watch Cook-In on Wednesdays at 8:30pm on RTÉ One.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 6 large Rooster potatoes, peeled and sliced approx. 2mm thick
- 400mls milk
- 400mls cream
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
- 40g grated parmesan
- 800g bavette or flank steak
- Green salad to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Place 100ml water in a large pot, followed by the cream, milk, garlic and salt.
- Add your sliced potato and bring the mix to the boil to thicken the cream.
- Transfer your potatoes, and all the sauce, into a baking tray, cover with parmesan and cook at 180c for 45mins until golden brown.
- You can serve this immediately, or you can cover the tray with another sheet of paper and place in the fridge overnight. Add some weight (butter blocks/tins/milk cartons) on top so it presses hard and compacts. Once cold, you can turn it out and portion it. It can also be cut into smaller chunks and frozen for later use.
- Heat a pan until smoking hot. Rub your bavette steak in plain oil, and coat in sea salt and pepper
- Cook on the pan for 3-4 mins, turning regularly, so it is charred on the outside.
- Allow it to rest for 10mins and then carve across the muscle fibres, to tenderise. Serve alongside a warm block of your reheated potato gratin, with a green salad.