Brian McDermott's chocolate, raspberry beetroot velvet cake.
Serves: 8/10 slices
- 110g dark chocolate
- 150g cooked beetroot (not in vinegar)
- 3 large eggs
- 80g melted butter
- 50ml rapessed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g cocoa powder
- 220g self raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g fresh raspberries (and about 10 extra for the top of the cake)
- 50g white chocolate and a handful of fresh raspberries for decorating
- 100g crème Fraiche
- Mint leaves & dusting of icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 180C Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper,
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- In a blender blitz the beetroot to a puree. Add the oil and melted butter, then the eggs and vanilla. The mix will look pink, but, trust me thats normal
- In a large bowl, sieve the cocoa powder and flour, add in the sugar.
- Add the pureed mix to the bowl and combine gently together. Stir in the melted chocolate and 100g whole raspberries.
- Add mix into a greased tin and bake for approx. 40 minutes. Allow the cake to cool.
- Decorate the cake with whole raspberries and grated white chocolate or melt the white chocolate and drizzle over the raspberries. Serve with dollops of crème fraiche.
- Pop a mint leaf on top and dust with icing sugar.
Brian's Tip: Cook in a sandwich tin and serve as afternoon tray bakes. Or make as muffins.