These little fritters are suitable as serving as a starter or as a little bite to accompany drinks. The uncooked mixture will keep in the fridge overnight and the cooked cakes which are best served warm can be stored for an hour or so in a warm oven.
Makes: 12 tablespoon sized fritters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10g butter
- 100g red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 300g peas
- 50g gram flour
- 2 eggs
- 60g feta, crumbled
- ½ red chilli (c 10g) de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
To cook and serve
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 g butter
- 100g hot smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons of crème friache, whisked to thicken
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon roasted and coarsely ground cumin seed
- Coriander leaves
- In a small saucepan heat the olive oil and butter to melt and foam. Add in the onions and garlic and toss to coat them with the oil and butter. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook over a very low heat until fully cooked and tender. Remove from the saucepan to cool.
- Cook the peas in boiling salted water until tender. Strain and discard the cooking water. Mash the peas to a coarse puree with some of the peas completely broken down to a puree and some of them less so.
- Place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add in the eggs and whisk to a smooth batter. Add in the pea puree, feta, chilli and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. The mixture will be quite thick. Chill until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook, place a frying pan on the heat and add the olive oil and butter and allow to foam. Drop 1 tablespoon sized (or smaller)blobs of the pea mixture into the pan leaving a little space between the fritters.
- Cook over a moderate heat for about 4 minutes until golden and turn over and continue cooking on the other side to achieve a similar colour and the fritters cooked through. Keep the cooked fritters warm in an oven at 100c, while you cook the remaining.
- Serve each fritter warm, topped with a flake of smoked salmon, a small blob of crème fraiche, a piece of chilli and ground cumin and a coriander leaf.