- 170g macaroni
- 3 litres water
- 60g butter
- 60g flour
- 925ml milk, boiling
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 200g grated cheddar cheese
- 220g cooked ham, cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 220g coked roast turkey, cut into 1-2cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional
- 50g cheddar cheese grated
- Bring the water to the boil and add salt. Add in the macaroni and stir to prevent them from sticking together. Cook for approx 10 minutes or until tender. Drain off the water.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a saucepan and allow to foam. Add the flour and stir to mix. Cook over a gentle heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer all the while whisking.
- Add in the mustard and cheese and mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in the cooked ham and turkey and macaroni.
- Stir well to mix and bring to a simmer. Stir in the chopped parsley if using. Test seasoning one more time before placing in an oven proof gratin dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top and reserve the gratin until later for re-heating.
- Reheat in a moderately hot oven pre-heated to 160c until bubbling hot.
- Serve immediately.