Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8:30pm.
Takes 1 hour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2tsp each ground coriander and cumin
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp chipotle paste
- 250g pack cooked puy lentils
- 1 x 400g tins mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- Soured cream and tortilla chips to serve
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based casserole. Fry the onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes until softened. Add the sweet potato and garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the spices and cook for a minute before adding the chipotle. Stir through the tomatoes along with a splash of water. Cover and simmer gently, for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the sweet potato is tender and the sauce thick and rich, add the lentils and beans, stir through and simmer until heated through.
- To serve, add to bowls, top with a good dollop of soured cream, tortilla chips, cheddar and coriander leaves.