Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Takes: 15 minutes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 450g rib eye steak
- 250g cooked udon noodles
- 1/2 head Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 100g radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- A good handful coriander leaves
- A small handful mint leaves
- A good handful of roasted, salted peanuts, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2tsp sesame oil
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium high heat. Rub the steak with sesame oil and season generously with pepper and fry 3-4 minutes on either side until medium rare. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing in a jar, shake to combine. Toss together the Chinese cabbage, carrots, spring onions and radishes in a large bowl along with two-thirds of the dressing.
- Toss the noodles with the remaining dressing and any juices from the rested steak.
- Arrange the noodles in a bowl followed by the veg.
- Slice the steak thinly and arrange on top of the noodles along with the herbs and crushed peanuts.