Kevin Dundon's Victoria Sponge is the perfect treat for summery days.
- 300g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Filling and topping:
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 110ml whipped cream
- 300g strawberries, sliced
- Icing Sugar
- Grease 2 x 20cm/8inch sandwich tins and line the bottom of the tins with a round of baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until creamy and fluffy. Then add the eggs and the flour and the vanilla extract.
- Transfer evenly to the two prepared sandwich tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool.
- Spread some of the strawberry jam on the both sponges. Layer the bottom cake with freshly whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Add the second cake with the strawberry jam side facing the whipped cream.Then, dust with some icing sugar and decorate with some sliced strawberries.