A sweet and fragrant take on the classic.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 10 slices stale white bread, crusts removed
- 300g chopped rhubarb
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 150ml cream
- 350ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 70g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
To serve: Cold softly whipped cream
- Butter the sides of a 20cm square or oval baking dish.Butter each slice of bread and cut into little squares or triangles. Place half of the bread on the base of the dish.
- Combine the chopped rhubarb with the brown sugar. Spread the sugared rhubarb in a layer over the bread. Lay the remaining bread neatly over the rhubarb to cover it.
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan till almost boiling. Remove and set aside. Whisk the caster sugar with the eggs in a large mixing bowl then slowly add the hot milk, whisking all the time till smooth and combined.
- Whisk in the vanilla. Pour this custard over the bread pudding, making sure it coats each piece of bread. Leave to rest and soak in all the custard for half an hour. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C. Create a bain marie by placing the pudding dish in a large roasting tin and fill half way up the sides with hot water. Do this at the oven to avoid burns.